Last year, we all saw a new trend of taking minimalistic approach when it comes to the UI design. This approach ensures that the website always stays on the lighter side, making it less server hungry and thus, achieving better performance score and good rankings at SERPs.
Now, the same trend is being followed further in 2016, and we’re having more options to pick from. WordPress is still number one choice to create a website, and it holds hundreds of minimal themes to pick.
This compilation I’m sharing here, consists of the best minimalist WordPress themes, which are all available without any cost. Yes, free!
Let’s begin with the compilation and see if you can like any of the following free options.
It’s a multipurpose theme, ready to be used for a lot of niches, and it has already got about 10 thousands of active installs, confirming how popular it is. The theme follows the minimalistic approach at the UI end, and is extremely lightweight. The UI part is clean, and elegant and the theme can be used to run a fully functional blog. The header area holds a full-width slider and the navigation Menu is also present, featured with a dedicated Search tool. This theme can also be used to run a blog of Photographer, as it holds dedicated features for images.
- The theme follows all the SEO norms and can make your blog post rank at better positions at SERPs.
- It comes with WooCommerce integration, allowing you to quickly setup a small shop and sell products online.
- It is also multilingual ready, allowing the content to be translated in any known language.
- The theme comes with dedicated Options Panel at the Dashboard, which is rare in a free theme case.
It’s a theme with unique look and UI which always focuses on the images and stories. The theme holds a logo area on top, fixed at the centre, followed by a Navigation Menu. There are no sidebars, which increases the readability score. Although, the sidebar is hidden under a switch, which can be interacted with, if needed. It’s a simple and lightweight theme, primarily focusing on the content.
- The theme supports active translation and even supports RTL languages.
- It comes with Theme Options panel at the Dashboard, allowing the webmaster to bring quick visual and functional changes.
- It supports featured images and comes with custom colors and custom Menus.
- The layout is responsive and comes with the right side mounted Sidebar.
Llorix One Lite
It’s a business niche theme, available with one-page layout and dozens of customization options. The theme is built over BootStrap framework, ensuring modern design elements without costing heavily on the server. It includes support for running personal blog, and the homepage area includes fullscreen hero image. The theme can also be used to run a photography portfolio or a digital profile for an App.
- It includes support and compatibility for WooCommerce, making the theme ready for e-commerce platform.
- It supports WPML, bringing active translation to the table, with support for RTL languages.
- To support the blog layout, it comes with featured images and threaded comments features.
- The theme is also compatible with bbPress, allowing you to run a fully functional community.
If you’re running a fashion blog (or planning to), then Philomina is the perfect free theme with minimal UI. The theme comes with support for big size photographs and a layout which is unique and matches perfectly the specific niche here. UI part is totally unique and even I haven’t seen similar look in any other premium or free theme. It comes with support from the developer and proper documentation. The Menu area is customizable which also includes the Search tool.
- The package includes features like Featured images, sticky post, and threaded comments.
- The theme supports translation to many known languages, ensuring the content is ready for the global audience.
- The layout is responsive and the sidebar available at the Right side is hidden intelligently.
Whether you want to run a simple business website or a simple blog, or a mix of both, Refur is a theme worth considering. You should check out its Demo to know how exactly it looks, which will be delivering an impressive experience, for sure. The theme doesn’t come with dozens of features, ensuring proper minimalistic approach and lightweight nature.
- It supports fluid layout, ensuring responsiveness UI and dedicated support for mobile devices.
- It includes featured Images and Sticky post like features to help the blog looks properly functional.
- Active translation feature is also included in the package, making sure the content is ready for other languages than the native one.
Don’t want to make your magazine look cluttered? Check out the Demo of First Mag free theme which follows minimal approach at the UI which still manages to give a proper magazine look. There are dozens of features and functionalities available in the package, making sure the theme looks and functions properly like a magazine. Moreover, it is also optimized to showcase advertisements and get a better CTR.
- The sidebar area uses flexslider which is perfect for showcasing advertisement banners.
- The homepage area is widgetized with three custom homepage blocks and custom backgrounds.
- It is compatible with WooCommerce and follows most of the SEO norms.
Zerif Lite is among the top 10 free WordPress themes of all time, and if you’re satisfied with the functionalities it offers, but wish to get a fresh makeover, then check out this Child theme’s Demo. If the UI fits your requirements then you first have to install Zerif Lite and then install this Child theme to achieve the proper look.
- The theme comes with custom colors, custom header, and custom Menu.
- It supports features like Sticky Post and featured images and comes with just one column.
- The layout is responsive and minimal at its best.
Did you like any of these free options? If yes, kindly share the selection and the reason behind it, in the discussion section. Also, not everyone is aware of these best minimalist WordPress themes, so don’t forget to share this compilation with your social network. Peace!