Selecting a theme is as crucial as any other important stuff in the realm of WordPress, and to make sure our first choice was fit for the future, we need to look at only the better ones.
Maybe you’re new to the blogging or don’t have enough budget to purchase a paid theme. Whatever be the case, here is a compilation of best free magazine WordPress themes.
Speaking of myself, I also started with the free theme, tested a lot of them, and then went ahead with the premium ones.
So, let’s get the best magazine template for you which doesn’t cost a dime. Let’s begin!
- 1 Finch
- 2 Hueman
- 3 ComboMag
- 4 MesoColumn
- 5 ionMag
- 6 FASHIONISTA
- 7 GADGETRY
- 8 Activello
- 9 MH Newsdesk lite
- 10 Point
- 11 MH Magazine lite
- 12 Shapely
- 13 AcmeBlog
- 14 Kerli lite
- 15 Aqueduct
- 16 PepMagazine
- 17 Codilight Lite
- 18 Meeta
- 19 BresponZive
- 20 PlayBook
- 21 DualShock
- 22 JustWrite
- 23 i-transform
- 24 ComboMag
- 25 Magazine
- 26 Surfarama
- 27 Bloggie
- 28 Great
- 29 Portal
- 30 Ribbon
- 31 Conclusion
Finch is one of our most popular WordPress theme to date and for good reasons too. Like all themes created by us, it’s super fast, search engine ready and approved by the guys at WordPress.org. To get the full impact of how good this theme is I advise that you check out our demo. The colour scheme is well complimented and is fully customizable to enable you to stamp your own brand identity.
- Crafted by search engine experts to give your site the best possible chance of being found and succeed online
- The attention to details is great on things other creators overlook such as hover effects, backquotes styling and more.
- You get a premium like theme that is often compared to the Genesis framework.
With over 70k active installs, and regular updates to the core, Hueman is the perfect theme in our situation. It looks super cool, comes with tons of features, and the UI comes setup perfectly. It comes with responsive layout, with an option to either keep two columns or one column layout active.
- The theme comes with a flexible header which is also customizable to let you add a Menu and a logo.
- It comes with Theme Options panel at the Dashboard which helps bring possible customizations with few clicks.
- It supports translation, threaded comments and comes packed with Sticky post feature.
ComboMag is one of the oldest theme matching our criteria here which has served over thousands of users so far. It comes with normal support, but you can also purchase its license to get better support and additional premium features. It comes with Google Fonts to deliver the awesomeness among typography and can be used to run a blog or magazine on any niche.
- The theme is totally responsive and mobile friendly, ensuring proper functionality on smartphones, tablets, and featured mobile phones.
- It comes with a built-in header, navigation, sidebar, and footer options, which are ready to go.
- The theme supports BuddyPress, bbPress, and WooCommerce integration.
If you are looking for a highly modern theme, then consider checking out what MesoColumn has to offer. It’s developed using HTML5 and CSS3, the two very modern web programming language, and it comes with integration support for bbPress, WooCommerce, and BuddyPress. The layout itself is perfect for a magazine, which is elegant enough to keep visitors happy. You’ll find it hard to believe that such a quality product is available for free.
- The theme supports RTL language and active translation.
- It comes with threaded comments and Options panel at the Dashboard.
- It comes with custom colors, background, header, and Menu.
ionMag is one of the most advanced free WordPress theme I have seen this year. Equip with a live page builder to quickly edit your website on the fly. What I really like about this theme is that a thousand people could use the same theme and all have completely unique website design. With ionMag, your website will look beautiful on desktops, tablets, and mobile. You also have the option to style your header section differently to incorporate your brand identity.
If you want to quickly capture your reader’s attention then the big image grid will help you show off your best content. Other noteworthy features include an advance theme option panel to help you further customize your website and finally, you get support free of charge.
- You get a mega menu to help users finds what they want quickly.
- Your website will be retina ready so that you can show off your beautiful images.
- Serval predefined content blocks to speed up the design process.
As you can judge from the name itself, it’s for fashion niche, specifically. The layout fits the niche perfectly, and it comes with custom widgets, social media icons, featured images, Google fonts, threaded comments, responsive layout, and a lot of magazine theme features, packed within.
- It allows putting up a logo and even a custom Favicon.
- The theme comes with an Options Panel available at the Dashboard.
- It let you pick color scheme out of many available options which are definitely a quick way to change the overall look.
This particular theme fits the tech niche perfectly, and if your aim is to run a tech niche blog to share regular news and gadget reviews, then you can’t get any better than this. It comes with ThemeFuse legendary Admin panel at the Dashboard, which makes those customizations easy to pull off. It allows changing the color scheme to any of your choices from the preset wheel.
- It comes with a Slider and multiple layout options to pick from.
- The theme is totally responsive and Retina display ready.
- It is totally SEO friendly and comes with built-in Shortcodes.
It’s a product from a known developer, and it comes with super clean, lightweight and yet elegant UI. The UI is so clean and attractive that you’ll find it tough to grasp that it’s a free product. It follows all the SEO norms and also comes integrated with Schema markups, which both are helping hands to grab better rankings and CTR at SERPs.
- It is totally responsive, flat in design and supports Retina display devices.
- It truly supports WordPress native customizer to help you bring those customizations quickly.
- It comes with Infinite scroll and featured slider like features without any charges.
- The theme comes with some support and a dedicated forum.
MH Newsdesk lite
The ‘lite’ word confirms that it’s a free version of the premium theme which will come with additional premium features. The one we have for free comes with flat design, responsive layout, and super flexible UI to make room for possible customizations. The theme is regularly updated to stay integrated with the modern WordPress version, and it does come with a layout, perfectly matching a magazine look. It also packs an Options Panel at the Dashboard, which is surprising.
- It allows putting a custom background, colors, and header elements.
- It allows putting your very own Menu, with all sort of possible customizations.
- The theme supports RTL language and active translation.
- It comes with threaded comments, right and left sidebar, featured images, etc., features.
It’s a MyThemeShop which can be used without paying anything, and if you like to upgrade in future, then a premium version is also available. It offers a unique layout which is specifically designed for offering a magazine look. It does come with a normal level of support from the developer team behind, which is impressive for a free product.
- It packs an Options Panel with tons of configurations to play with.
- The layout is responsive and it is optimized for SEO norms to get better organic visibility.
- The package also includes custom widgets and supports other plugins from the same developer.
MH Magazine lite
It’s a lite version which you can begin using without paying anything, at all. The theme features custom widgets and tons of Admin Options to use and customize the overall functionalities and visuals. It allows customizing color scheme, header, Menu, and setting featured images to offer the perfect blog look.
- It offers two columns layout option which can also be downgraded to one column.
- The layout is fluid ensuring the responsiveness to keep the website functioning on smartphones and tablets.
- Active translation is supported and it even supports the RTL languages.
Finding a premium looking magazine theme for free isn’t that easy, but thanks to the Colorlib developers, we have a super cool theme to look at. The homepage is customizable via widgets, which is an easy way to customize. It also holds a parallax section which can showcase the content in an interesting way. It loads fast and is optimized for SEO norms.
- It is compatible to work with other known plugins like WooCommerce, Jetpack, Gravity Forms, Contact Form 7, Yoast SEO, etc.
- The layout is responsive and is ready to work perfectly on high-resolution displays.
- It can be used to share portfolio or testimonials which both are a helpful feature for a business website.
The design of a magazine is the primary attraction and the UI offered by AcmeBlog is none less than a premium theme. It looks unique, elegant, and is easy for the eyes to navigate around. A proper logo at the centre marks the header area, followed by nice looking Menus, followed by the container which holds new or featured blog entries. The theme is a bliss, thanks to the option to add custom CSS, which means anyone can easily change the way it looks. The theme also packs an advanced layout and design control option, which is not easily found in free products.
- The theme supports multiple post formats and even include Sticky Post feature.
- It supports translation, making sure that the content is ready to work in any globally known language.
- It comes with features like the breadcrumb, which are helpful for users and increases the score in navigation tabs.
If your plan is to share a lot of photographs, yes big sized, then consider checking out my next recommendation. It’s a free product, as you’re looking for, and comes with a UI which looks like a magazine. So, a perfect match! It is regularly updated to meet the standard of a modern WordPress website and it can be used to run a normal blog, or a photo journal, or even a business blog. The theme is extremely lightweight and holds few and specific features.
- It comes with a responsive layout, ensuring proper functioning of the website on mobile, tablet, desktop, and laptop devices.
- It comes with a sidebar on the right side with the option to pick two columns, giving itself proper blog look.
- The theme holds dedicated Options panel to help you quickly bring possible customizations.
Before we begin with the features, I’ll recommend you to check out how it looks via its Demo link below. The theme will definitely grab your attention because of the clean, simple, and elegant UI, and it perfectly matches the layout for an online magazine. It comes with proper navigation, social icon integration, search tool, tags, featured images, almost everything one can hope from a free product. The whole UI is responsive, meaning all the elements will work perfectly on mobile devices.
- It comes with built-in compatibility for WooCommerce and a dedicated Buy button, completing the requirements for an e-commerce website.
- It also holds the compatibility for bbPress, which is a platform to run an online forum or community.
- The theme comes with dedicated Options at the Dashboard, allowing the webmaster to bring possible changes at visual and functional sides.
It’s a proper News magazine theme, with dedicated UI for the specific niche I just mentioned. It comes with proper optimisation for advertisement tools like AdSense and have social sharing tool, navigation area (Menu), search tool, and even a featured post considering slider at the homepage. It packs custom widgets which can be used at the sidebar available at the right side and the overall layout is responsive and compatible with cross-browsers.
- It is built using HTML5 and CSS3 which brings modern features to the table, without adding a bulk.
- The theme comes with a customizable header, background, and Menu areas.
- There is also a Pro (paid) version available with additional features and dedicated support from the developer.
As per the overall ambience is concerned, Codilight Lite is the best and highly recommended theme from my side. It’s a product of a known developer with years of experience, so you’re definitely getting a premium product at no cost. The design part is uniquely handled which still manages to look elegant and clean. There is a slider at the homepage, proper navigation Menus at the top with built-in search tool, and blog posts from featured categories are shown underneath, delivering a premium magazine theme’s look.
- The theme comes with a bunch of customization options for Background, color scheme, Menu, and header, and there is also an Options Panel at the Dashboard.
- It comes with threaded comments, sticky post and supports multiple post formats, to ensure proper magazine look.
- It also holds dedicated cut-outs for the advertisement banners, keeping advertisement optimization feature at the table.
Didn’t find the WordPress magazine template you came looking for? Let me know the details of your requirements in the discussion section below and I’ll come up with few more options, specifically to your needs. If you did find a perfect theme above, then don’t forget to let us know about your selection. Peace!