For a newbie, going ahead with a free theme is the best solution, considering he/she has to learn a lot before going for the premium theme.
And, since you’re looking for the same, I got you here a compilation of best free WordPress themes.
Before you finalise the theme, there is a catch you need to be aware of free themes. If you don’t get them from a genuine source, you might end up getting a hacked product, which can ruin the whole website.
Now, since you’re aware of the major downside of free themes, let’s begin with the best options. Do note that these are not the only options out there.
Our recommended free WordPress templates.
As you must be understanding from the name here, it’s an e-commerce specific theme which is compatible with WooCommerce plugin and its related extensions. Apart from putting a simple cart online, it can even handle a Wishlist section. The UI is elegant and helps it not to look like a free theme. The theme comes with left and right sidebars and uses a responsive layout.
- The theme comes with a dedicated forum where you can get support for free.
- It comes with custom color schemes and custom Menus to make the theme as per your personal taste.
- It comes with Theme Options panel at the Dashboard which helps in bringing quick visual and functional changes.
This particular theme is a premium product (however, available for free) which is perfect for running a business profile. It can be used to share details about your services, share testimonials, and contact details. It can also handle a dedicated and fully functional blog with threaded comments and featured images like feature. The best part is that the homepage is customizable via built-in custom widgets. It also supports multiple page templates and post types.
- The theme comes with multiple color options to pick from which definitely changes the overall scheme.
- It integrates Google Fonts which allows a quick way to change the typography and can help the site looks neat and elegant.
- It comes with proper documentation and a pro version of the theme is also available which adds more features to the table.
Are you a freelancer and looking for a theme to showcase the best of your services and existing projects? If yes, then Sydney is the best business niche theme, specifically designed for just what you’re looking for. It’s easy to setup, and you will learn everything within an hour. It uses one-page layout which is fluid, responsive and the theme can also handle a dedicated blog.
- The theme comes with Sticky post, and it supports multiple post types.
- It comes with threaded comments which help the discussion go further and look neat.
- It supports translation and also includes options to customize background, colors, Head and Menu areas.
Athena is a popular multipurpose theme which comes with dozens of options and compatibility for multiple niches. It can be used to run a simple blog, or a business profile, or a portfolio, or even run a fully functional e-commerce store. The theme comes with support for WooCommerce and other known WordPress plugins and it also includes six widget areas to allow quick customizations. It also comes with a full-size slider for front page which further adds to the beauty.
- The theme comes with a fluid layout, ensuring responsiveness nature to make the website work on mobile devices.
- It supports two and even three columns along with threaded comments which all help a blog to look like a magazine.
- It comes with dedicated Theme Options panel which helps in bringing quick visual and functional changes to the whole theme.
If you’re planning to start with a free theme now and later move onto a premium one, then the best theme to pick is Zerif Lite. It’s a ThemeIsle product which is available with the premium version, if in case. It also supports Child themes, and dozens of free ones are already available to change the visual side of the native theme. It got enough reasons to deserve the place among top 10 themes on official WordPress theme centre.
- It supports WooCommerce and multiple known WordPress plugins.
- The theme is responsive in layout and is also ready for Retina display devices.
- It can be used for multiple niches and can also handle a dedicated blog.
Activello is a product from a known developer which even provides dedicated support, which is a rare thing among free products. The theme is perfect for running a blog on almost any niche, like lifestyle, fashion, food, sports, etc. It is also ready to be used as an e-commerce as it’s compatible with WooCommerce. SEO norms are also followed perfectly to ensure better Google rankings.
- The theme comes with threaded comments and supports multiple post formats.
- It comes with two columns and single column layouts, supporting both right and left sidebars.
- The theme uses a fluid layout, making sure the responsiveness is well achieved.
It’s one of the oldest free themes which has been updated regularly and is developed by a known developer. It even comes with proper documentation and support. It’s layout and feature set are perfect to be used for running a business website or maybe a portfolio one. It comes with support for custom post types and has dedicated features for the portfolio niche. Both sidebar and footer areas are compatible to put widgets.
- The theme can handle a dedicated and fully functional blog with featured images and threaded comment support.
- It comes with a custom image background and custom logo adding options.
- The theme is ready for translation and includes .mo and .po files in the package.
It is a theme based on minimal design layout which does well to showcase the content in an elegant way and that too on a single page. Yes, it is a one-page theme which can be used to either run a business website or to showcase the products, a.k.a. portfolio site. It has two color schemes, dark and light to pick from. The overall design is clean which keeps less clutters. Thus, achieving high-end performance score. It is a perfect free theme for photography niche too.
- It supports WPML and RTL languages, supporting the active translation for the content.
- It can be used to run a fully functional blog, as it features sticky post, threaded comments, two column layout, and featured images.
- It has the custom background, colors, header, and Menu options.
- It can also be used to run an e-commerce website.
Bizz is another free business and portfolio theme for WordPress which comes with elegant design and layout. It’s a product of a known developer team and to get it, you need to sign up for their free account. The design part is clean and simple, which makes it qualify for our compilation here. The homepage area features a slider which can possess images with or without URLs. That means you can either link a post or image or start a simple slideshow which does nothing except showing the pictures.
- It has a responsive layout which ensures proper compatibility of the layout with mobile devices.
- It supports images, videos, and other post types inside the portfolio section.
- It has dedicated blog layout with featured images and threaded comment support.
Onefold is a free product developed from an experienced and professional developer. And, you can see that by the quality of the product. The layout is totally elegant, thanks to the impressive looking graphic rich design. Ideally, the theme is fit for running a business website of variable scale. Yes, it can fit a small business website need and also of a big one. It also supports translation.
- It comes with built-in Options Panel, offering a bunch of tools to easily make visual and functional changes.
- It can be used to create and run a blog, thanks to the available features like footer widgets, sidebar, threaded comments and featured images.
- It can be used to share portfolio as it supports the default post type for the same.
Do you own a startup? Well, One Edge should be a preferable choice for creating your website using WordPress as it is specifically designed for that particular niche. It can showcase the services you deliver, in an elegant way, a feature we’re primarily looking for. Both appearances and functionalities are related to the niche, making it a professional product. Basically, the layout is one-page which uses the full-width. It is a Child theme for Llorix One Lite, which is also available for free.
- It is compatible to work with WooCommerce, its extensions, and related plugins.
- It is well optimized for SEO norms, ensuring better rankings at SERPs.
- It is compatible to work with translation functionalities, ensuring the availability of content for global audiences.
As you can make out from the name itself, it’s a theme for blogging. It supports every general niche which you can come up with. It primarily focuses on the content and the images being used inside. The overall layout is clean and responsive to ensure proper mobile phone compatibility. You can check the demo and I’m sure elegance will be found.
- It holds special customization options for color schemes, Menu, and Logo.
- It possesses two columns layout, having sidebars at both right and left sides.
- The layout of the homepage uses the famous grid design to deliver a unique look.
It’s a product from Athemes, which is a known developer in the WordPress industry. Rocked is available for free and it is perfect for running a business wrist or to run a properly functional blog on any niche. It comes with dedicated customization options, which are good enough to allow the webmaster to obtain a custom look. It also has pre-defined blocks where specific content can be shared. Responsiveness feature is taken good care of and there is also a Pro version of the product available.
- It comes with multiple page templates and Google Fonts.
- It has a dedicated Blog options and the homepage is widget ready.
- The theme comes with dedicated support and also a proper documentation.
It’s my final offering which is ideal for running a blog or magazine website. It is specifically designed to suit the news websites. The code behind is of quality standard and it keeps the website lightweight and decent in performance. It is compatible with multiple web browsers and is also ready to work on mobile phones, smartphones, and tablets. There are multiple layout options available inside which adds certain customization levels.
- It suits the photography or news delivering website niches, perfectly.
- The theme is advertisement ready, having dedicated cut-outs where ads can be placed directly.
- It supports all blog-specific features like the breadcrumb, social media integration, featured images, etc.
An elegantly designed website can do wonders when used to sell some products. Yes, I’m talking about setting an e-commerce and here is the first theme which fits the same niche. It is built using the famous Bootstrap framework, adding the modern layouts to the front and security to the base. The e-commerce part is handled by the sincere WooCommerce extensions and its plugins. The code behind is 100% WordPress compatible and it is also compatible with the SEO norms.
- It is ready to support WPML by default, thus, adding the active translation feature to the table.
- It is compatible with known plugins like Jetpack, Contact Form 7 and also has SiteOrigin’s page builder.
- It also holds Meta Slider plugin which is known for its quality features.
- It can also be used to run a blog as it features two columns layout, threaded comments, featured images, and footer widgets.
If you find any other free WordPress theme which is better to be fit in this compilation, and I missed, do let me know in the discussion section. I’ll be available to help if you need any help with any of these themes setup. Don’t forget to share with other newbies in your network. Good luck!