Microsoft started the Metro Style UI with the release of Windows 8 OS and later dropped it completely in Windows 10 OS. But the UI was so elegant, that rest of the developers picked it.
At this time, the UI is not in trend, but if you’re looking for a similarly fashioned theme, then there are still few premium options to go with.
Finding a free theme in this specific niche is very tough, so I’ll recommend going with the ones I’m recommending. Let’s start with the compilation of best Metro style WordPress themes.
Stack is my first recommendation which is a product from Themify, and the way it is designed, it requires zero coding knowledge to setup the theme and uses its applications. It fits for multiple niches and can be used to run an online portfolio website or even e-commerce. It supports Live Customizer of WordPress and comes with a fixed sidebar on the left panel, and the whole layout is totally responsive and adjusts according to the screen resolution. It even includes a Drag & Drop page builder, allowing the webmaster to create unique looking pages just by using the available elements. It includes 600+ Google fonts and is compatible with latest WordPress version.
- It supports multiple WordPress post formats and even comes with an audio custom player with minimal design for supporting audio format.
- WooCommerce plugin and its extensions are supported, allowing the webmaster to quickly setup an online shop.
- It comes with a Theme Options panel, allowing the webmaster to bring quick visual and functional changes.
- The theme is optimized for SEO and is compatible with WPML for active translation.
It’s a metro styled theme which is perfect for running an online portfolio or a digital profile for an agency. It comes with every elegant UI, inspired by the Metro UI of Windows 8. But, it also holds a lot of unique design elements which makes it stand out from the competition. The layout is responsive and opens and operates correctly on smartphones and tablets. The framework behind the Dashboard is lightweight and powerful and also packs a dedicated tool to allow you bring possible visual and functional changes. It is compatible with SEO norms and is also ready to work properly on iPhone and iPad.
- It supports custom post types and even the Shortcodes.
- The theme comes with one-click content install, allowing everything to be setup as per the Demo.
- It comes with multiple slider types, which are available to pick and then work as they should.
- It is compatible with most of the known WordPress plugins and even supports custom post types.
It’s a premium top-class product which is developed by an Elite Author at ThemeForest and was also featured on the same platform. It all means that you’re getting an extremely standard theme with tons of premium features and functionalities to make the package worthy of the price tag. The metro UI is customizable and about 30 modules are available at the Dashboard, which is easy to pick and thus, offer easy customization. Moreover, it even packs Visual Composer, which is a known drag & drop page builder tool. And, there is also the Slider Revolution plugin which otherwise comes at a cost. The theme is also ready for multiple languages, thanks to built-in support for translation.
- It comes with a responsive layout which is also ready for Retina display featured devices. It even offers a choice of Boxed or non-boxed layout.
- The package includes 500+ Google Fonts, which are available in the Theme Options panel.
- SEO optimization is taken care properly to ensure the content ranks on better positions.
- It even packs custom login pages, allowing you to put a logo at login page for branding purpose.
If you’re looking for a second choice for the option mentioned above, then check out the Demo of Second Touch theme. It’s a favorite product at ThemeForest and comes with a custom page builder, with 1300+ vector icons in the package. The whole UI is ready to work properly on Retina ready devices, thanks to the compatible graphics, and it is also responsive to support other smartphones and tablets. The news slider for the homepage is of premium class, and the Metro style menu is also customizable. It packs six different layouts along with 300+ fonts and unlimited backgrounds and colts to customize further. There is also a Visual Composer drag & drop page builder at the Dashboard, allowing the webmaster to create uniquely styled wepages quickly.
- It comes with WPML support, bringing active translation to the table.
- The SEO norms are well followed, and the theme is also kept lightweight to achieve better rankings at SERPs.
- WooCommerce plugin and its extensions are supported to help you run an e-commerce shop.
- It also supports bbPress, which can help you run an online community right within the same theme.
It’s a multipurpose ready theme but is best suited to run an online portfolio or digital agency profile. It checks in all the right boxes for being a modern WordPress theme with a responsive layout with support for Retina display devices, unlimited colors, proper documentation and dedicated support. It also holds other unique features like Revolution Slider premium plugin and tons of Shortcodes. You should check out its Demo and see if it looks interesting or not.
- It is built using Bootstrap framework, ensuring top-notch security and proper optimization for faster page load.
- It comes with Boxed and non-boxed versions, which are easy to pick and quick to setup.
- The Admin Panel available at the Dashboard is powerful and capable of bringing possible changes without the need of writing a code for them.
- It is read for the concept of Child themes, and the theme’s package includes all the PSD files.
Finally, we’ve Flat Metro theme, which comes looks just like Metro theme of Windows 8, but with powerful features and options behind the scene to make it work as a website. It comes with 100% responsive layout, and unlimited colors to pick and change the way things look. It is compatible with Visual Composer, WooCommerce, Events calendar and also with the concept of the Child theme. It focuses on offering a clean layout, which looks modern too.
- It includes a dedicated Ajax powered portfolio and support for multiple post types.
- The package includes a custom 404 page, bringing down one thing from your to-do list.
- It is SEO friendly and fast enough to get loaded on slower connection too.
These themes are good for running a blog, or a portfolio or a business profile. One thing you need to be aware of this ‘Metro style UI’ is that it is heavy than the usual ones. So, to achieve good performance scorecard, you need to opt for a fast and good standard hosting provider. Let me know if you have any concerns in the discussion section. Peace!